25 July 2016, 12:41PM
Now is a good time to evaluate the sprinkler package on your center pivot or linear irrigation machine. Replace worn or broken sprinkler package components to ensure your machine is maximizing your crop yield potential. Here are three things to look for when inspecting your irrigation sprinkler package this year.
1. Consider Age
The first thing to consider is the age of the sprinklers and sprinkler pressure regulators on your machine. If they are more than 10 years old, or have greater than 10,000 hours, it’s time to consider replacing them.
2. Consider Water Quality
Water quality is also an important factor in the life of sprinklers. Water sources, like rivers or reservoirs, often contain abrasive debris particles that can wear down components within sprinklers and pressure regulators.
3. Consider Uneven Crop Growth
Signs of sprinkler package trouble will show up as rings of uneven crop growth in a field. Causes of this uneven crop growth include:
- Defective sprinkler distribution plates
- Plugged or worn sprinkler nozzles
- Plugged or worn pressure regulators
- Rotating sprinklers not turning at the correct rate
- And remember: TEAM Irrigation is more than willing to help you inspect your sprinkler packages and provide recommendations for replacements. To learn more about this, contact your local Valley dealer today.
About Jerry Gerdes
Product Manager - Water Application